Doing Life on PurposeAugust 23, 2020
Doing Life on Purpose
-We all need purpose in life or life is and hopeless!
-(John Wesley) I want the whole Christ for my Savior, the whole Bible for my book, the whole Church for my fellowship, and the whole world for my mission field.
-As Christians, we need to be sure we what our mission in life is and be sure to stick to that mission as followers of Jesus Christ.
I. Mission (1-4)
A. Dispatch (1-2)
–Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick.
– v. 2, “sent”= apostello = (Weirsbe) to send someone with a special commission to represent another and to accomplish his work.
-What is that work? Sharing with all people that the only hope of reconciling our access to God because of our sin is accepting personally the truth that Jesus Christ is the sacrificial substitute for the payment we deserve to pay for our sin.
*You and I are dispatched by Jesus to go tell the World that He is the answer for this life and for all eternity!
B. Distribution (1)
-He called his twelve disciples together and the parallel passage in Mark 6 says He sent them by two and two
-Advantages of going in pairs (Life Application Study Bible):
1. & Encouragement
2. Comfort in Rejection
3. Give Each Other
4. Prevention of Idleness/Indifference
C. (1, 3)
-If you and I are going to be diligent in our mission for Christ the only way we can do it is if we are fully dependent upon Him to make it happen!
-We see at least 2 areas of dependence here:
1. Power (1b) – gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases
-The problem is not lack of power, but an absence of dependence upon that power!
2. (3) – And He said unto them, Take nothing for your journey, neither staves, nor scrip, neither bread, neither money; neither have two coats apiece.
-When Gods gives you a mission, you can rest assured that He will give you everything you need to accomplish that mission.
-2 ways they needed to go about this mission:
A. Determination (4)
–And whatsoever house ye enter into, there abide, and thence depart.
-“abide” = “to remain…to wait…to wait for”—idea of !
B. Directness (5)
–And whosoever will not receive you, when ye go out of that city, shake off the very dust from your feet for a testimony against them.
-This gesture had a 2-fold message to the rejecters of Jesus:
1. You will be held responsible for your choice to reject Jesus (eternal hell)
2. I will not be held responsible for not having told you of the truth
III. Movement (6)
–And they departed, and went through the towns, and healing every where.
-2 ways they got busy:
A. Telling (6a) preaching the gospel
-“preaching” = public proclamation
*Don’t be a mere exhibit to look at, but a messenger to listen to!
B. (6b) healing every where
–Nobody cares what you know until that know that you care.
-Perhaps you need these reminders to:
1. yourself to fellow Christians in this mission
2. Depend on God to give you what you need in this mission
3. Be determined and direct in how I go about this mission
4. Stay in this mission (telling & tenderness)