The Gospel According to John – Week 1February 21, 2021 / Dean Johnson / Hope Fellowship Church
The Gospel According to John ~ Week 1 ~ Dean Johnson ~ 02.21.21
Online notes @ sermons.church
Jesus The Eternal One
- Matthew, Mark and Luke view Jesus from the earth up, while John views Jesus from down.
- 1. In the Beginning
- John’s theme is God’s creation
- 2. A New Way
- Jesus was not a good teacher among many other teachers – He never that
- “A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic–on the level with a man who says he is a poached egg—or he would be the devil of hell. You must take your choice. Either this was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us” – C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
- Believe = Pisteuo. John always used the verb form, emphasizing an , vital trust in Jesus
- Can mean “believe in” or ‘believe on” – John means believe
- 3. And So It Begins…
- “out of His fullness” means all the of God are present in Jesus
- Wave after wave of grace?
- Different grace for different situations?
- The grace Jesus gives, replaces the grace given by Moses through the law?
- The answer is !