A World Looking for Love – Part 3
February 27, 2022 / 1 Corinthians 13:
A World Looking For Love – Part 3
February 27th, 2022
“Building A House Of Honor” – (2)
1 Cor. 13; Romans 12
1 Corinthians 13:5 (a)
5 “It (love) does not dishonor others …”
(Def. of dishonor) – Atimos (Gk)
to treat as COMMON or ordinary. To make them LESS than they really ARE.
Matthew 13:57-58 (NLT)
57 And they were deeply offended and refused to believe in him. Then Jesus told them, “A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his own family.”
58 And so he did only a few miracles there because of their unbelief.
• Dishonor Jesus .
(Story of Miriam and Aaron – Numbers 12)
Numbers 12:2 “… The Lord heard their dishonoring of him”
8. With him I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the LORD. Why then were you not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?”
13. So Moses cried out to the LORD, “Please, God, heal her!”
Numbers 13:14 -15 (NIV)
14. The LORD replied to Moses, “If … her father had spit in her face, would she not have been in disgrace for seven days? Confine her outside the camp for seven days; after that she can be brought back.”
15. So Miriam was confined outside the camp for seven days, and the people did not move on till she was brought back.
A Couple Things About Leprosy
1. It brings with it … .
2. You lose your ability to .
Romans 12:10 (NIV)
“…Honor one another above yourselves.”
Def. of Honor: to value, respect, ; to treat as and , .
Everyone God uses is
1 Cor. 1:26-29 (NIV)
26. Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential (GOOD LOOKING); not many were of noble birth. (WEALTH)
27. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
28. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are,
29. so that no one may boast before him.
Who We Honor
Romans 12:10 (NKJV) Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in
honor giving preference to one another.
1 Peter 2:17 (ESV)
Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the
1 Peter 2:17 (MSG)
Treat everyone you meet with dignity.
Philippians 2:3-4 (NIV)
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in
humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to
your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Romans 13:1-2 (NIV)
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
• Governmental authority.
• Work/school authority.
• Family authority.
• Spiritual authority – 1 Timothy 5:17
1 Timothy 5:17 (NIV) The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of
double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching.
Ephesians 6:2-3 (NIV)
“Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise—“that it may go well with you and that you may
enjoy long life on the earth.
Hebrews 13:4 (NIV)
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept
pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
1 Peter 3:7 (NLT)
In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat
your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are,
but she is your equal partner in God’s gift of new life. Treat her as you should so your
prayers will not be hindered.
Leviticus 19:32 (NIV)
Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD.
Job 12:12 (NIV)
Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?
Genesis 1:28 (NIV)
God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.
Malachi 1:6 (NIV)
“A son honors his father, and a slave his master. If I am a father, where is the honor due me? If I am a master, where is the respect due me?” says the LORD Almighty.
How We Honor
1. We honor others by putting them
Proverbs 3:9 (NIV)
Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops.
Proverbs 3:9 (MSG)
Honor GOD with everything you own; give him the first and the best.
2. We honor by our WORDS
James 3:9-10 (NIV)
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.
Ephesians 4:29-30 (NIV)
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God
3. We honor by PROTECTING them
John 7:18 (NIV)
He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.
“The bat was only valuable because Babe Ruth’s name was on it. Since he made it valuable, the only reasonable thing I could do was something that would honor his life.”
– Marcia Napoli-Tejeda