Covenant #1 – Relationships that Matter
June 27, 2021
Relationships that Matter
God-honoring relationships are based on COVENANT. World relationships are built and based on convenience.
- The world ought to be able to look at the relationships they see in the church, and it should be attractive.
I John 4:20 If someone says, “I love God,” but hates a fellow believer,[a] that person is a liar; for if we don’t love people we can see, how can we love God, whom we cannot see?
Luke 10:27 ‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”[a]
Mal 2:13-14 Here is another thing you do. You cover the Lord’s altar with tears, weeping and groaning because he pays no attention to your offerings and doesn’t accept them with pleasure. 14 You cry out, “Why doesn’t the Lord accept my worship?” I’ll tell you why! Because the Lord witnessed the vows you and your wife made when you were young. But you have been unfaithful to her, though she remained your faithful partner, the wife of your marriage vows.
If you could understand the covenant relationship that God wants to have with you, it would change all of our relationships.
Luke 22:20 20 After supper he took another cup of wine and said, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you
- There is a difference between condemnation and conviction – one is a gift from God and the other is a tool of Satan
Covenant = a solemn agreement between two parties for the purpose of creating and maintaining a successful, God-honoring, life-giving relationship.
1. Covenant is based on mutual commitment. Contract is based on mutual distrust.
2. Covenant surrenders rights and assumes responsibility. Contract protects rights and shirks responsibility.
Rom 12:5 so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other.
I Cor 13:5 It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.
Psalm 103:12 He has removed our sins as far from us
as the east is from the west.
Micah 7:19 ESV You will cast all our[f] sins
into the depths of the sea.
3. Covenant has the interest of others in mind. Contract has personal interest and convenience in mind.
Phil 2:4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.
I John 4:19 We love each other[a] because he loved us first.