Genesis Week 7February 12, 2023
Gospel Light Church
February 29th, 2023
More To The Story (Part 1)
Genesis 2:4-9 ESV
This is the first mention of “”.
Genesis 2:4 ESV
- Today we have approx. living generations on planet Earth – See Image on Screen
- The two most recent generation and not included in the graphic would be:
- Generation Z – 1997-2012
- Generation Alpha – 2012-2025
- This is also the first use of the (Yahweh) in the Bible.
Our English word Lord comes from the Anglo-Saxon word for bread because ancient English men of high stature would keep a continual open house where all could come and get bread to eat. They gained the honorable title of lords, meaning “dispensers of bread”.
– David Guzik –
Genesis 2:5-6 ESV
- There had not been any rainfall at this point and that God had used a “mist” to water His creation.
Genesis 2:7 ESV
- He used the that He created as the substance for man.
- The word formed in the Hebrew means to or .
- God in His divine design created a complex human but used the most simple ingredient to do it….the of the earth.
- He didn’t just speak this into existence – this was more intricate, more personal.
- God breathed into His creation by using His breath and His !
- Man became more than a living creature, he became a living (KJV).
- The life and power of God gave animation.
A Place to Grow:
Genesis 2:8-9 ESV
- The Lord God planted a garden In Eden. A garden is an intentional place to .
- God made a special place to facilitate for Adam.
- Eden means “delight”, “a place of much water or even “place of ”
- God made the trees to spring up and some of those trees would produce food for the consumption of Adam.
- Trees are a top focal point in the Bible, only second to the creation of man.
- God speaks much of trees throughout the Bible and there is a great parallel between trees and humans.
- There is deep symbolism that flows from Genesis through Revelation.
There were distinct trees that God had created here in Eden:
1 -The Tree of Life – to give and sustain life
- This tree was right in the middle of Eden.
- A gift from God to provide something that NOTHING else could provide.
- It provided life giving fruit.
Revelation 2:7 ESV
2 -The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil – to test and reveal to man. A tree of.
- This tree was right in the of Eden.
- A gift of God as it was the part of Gods creation that would reveal to man that he wasn’t programmed or created to NOT have a choice.
- It provided fruit that would bring .
- Adam would have to pass this tree all the time and it was to be a ‘’
Genesis 2:10–14 ESV
- A river flowed out of Eden and then divided into other rivers.
- These four rivers would reach the four corners of God creation.
- This main river and its’ distributaries where a life giving system of water that sustained other geographical locations.
Genesis 2:15 ESV
- The Lord God took man and put him in the garden to .
- This wording is vital to seeing the symbolism with the garden of Eden being the original to worship God.
Genesis 2:16 ESV
- First command given by God to man. It was given directly to !
- God first told Adam what He was permitted to eat and then him what not to eat.
Because God created Adam with a , He could make a choice. The presence of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil provided Adam with a daily reminder of that choice.
- If there is never a command or never a forbidden act there can never be a choice.
- Adam only had ONE way to sin in the garden. He faced that decision every day but by never gave in, until he was later influenced!
- God also gave a clear consequence for breaking that command. .