“The Warfare of the Believer—His Instructions”
October 11, 2020 / Pastor John Lashuay / Ephesians 6:10-12
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
I. The of the Believer (Ephesians 1:1-3:21)
II. The of the Believer (Ephesians 4:1-6:9)
We note that our understanding of the principles of God’s Word will lead to the practice of God’s ways.
III. The of the Believer (Ephesians 6:10-20)
King Jehoshaphat’s Example (2 Chronicles 20:1-23)
1 Corinthians 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth [overconfident] take heed lest he fall [into sin].
Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty [arrogant] spirit before a fall.
B. : how to in the battle(Ephesians 6:10-12)
1. The for the battle—Be (Ephesians 6:10)
2 Corinthians 10:3-4 For though we walk [live] in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal [physical], but mighty through God to the pulling down [destruction] of strong holds [fortresses];)
Ephesians 1:19 And what is the exceeding [immeasurable] greatness of His power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of His mighty [overcoming power] power [great inherent strength],
1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.
We see the for the battle. Therefore, we are to be when we are “strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.”
2. The for the battle—Be (Ephesians 6:11a)
2 Peter 1:3 According as His divine power [dynamic (active) power] hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and liness, through the knowledge of Him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2 Timothy 2:1 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.
James 4:6 But He giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud [the one insisting on his own way], but giveth grace unto the humble [the one submitting to God’s way].
We see the for the battle. Therefore, we are to be by “putting on the whole armor of God.”
3. The in the battle—Be (Ephesians 6:11b)
James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist [stand against / not allowing a foothold] the devil, and he will flee [run away] from you.
Colossians 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, He [Christ (Colossians 2:11)] made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
We see our in the battle as we, in obedience, “put on the whole armor of God.” Therefore, we can be as we “stand against the wiles of the devil.”
4. The of the battle—Be (Ephesians 6:12)
Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle [struggle] not against flesh and blood [enemies], but against principalities [leaders], against powers [authorities], against the rulers of the darkness of this world [referring to Satan & his demons], against spiritual wickedness [depravity] in high [lit. celestial or heavenly] places.
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober [self-controlled], be vigilant [on guard / alert]; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
1 John 2:1-2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate [intercessor/ one to plead our cause] with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And He is the propitiation [satisfaction / appeasing sacrifice] for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
We see the of the battle is powerful and deceptive. Therefore, we are to be about this spiritual enemy we face and seek to be by “putting on the whole armor of God.”
POINT OF ACTION: Our warfare is fought within and without. We must understand our own flesh and temptation to sin. We need to understand our weakness and God’s power. We must follow the instructions for the battle: being invincible with God’s power, intentionally prepared, immovable being protected by God’s armor, and informed about the perpetrator of the battle.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!