“Our Worthy Walk Forward with redemptive Ministry Mindedness in Family”
September 20, 2020 / Pastor John Lashuay / Ephesians 6:1-4
Make A QUIET COMMITMENT:
- QUIET your mind and soul before the LORD — “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10)
- COMMIT to obedience: Commit to doing whatever God will say to you in this message — “to obey is better than sacrifice” (1 Samuel 15:22)
A. Walk Worthy—Vertically before God (Ephesians 4:1-32)
B. Walk Worthy—Horizontally toward Others (Ephesians 5:1-6:9)
1. Walk in Ministry, Fulfilling Christ’s Purpose for You (Ephesians 4:11-12)
2. Walk in Love, Displaying Christ’s Love for You (Ephesians 5:1-2)
3. Walk in Light, REFLECTING Christ’s Light in You (Ephesians 5:3-14)
4. Walk in the Spirit, being in step with Christ’s Spirit in You (Ephesians 5:18-21)
5. Walk in , in the Way Christ has for You (Ephesians 5:22-33)
A deeper study of these passages can be found on our YouTube channel in the “Ephesians” playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjnNASM_tVzH-gjcwZNYPIepmuHv0kKyt) and also on our website (www.PIBCNY.com).
KEEP IN MIND: It is important that each of us maintain an Ephesians 4:1-3 mindset. This is humility of mind, meekness before God, patience and love toward others, seeking a unified community as we seek to understand our own responsibilities within each section of teaching. Each of us need to humbly consider how we can come alongside others to lovingly and humbly encourage them in their obedience to the Lord, maintaining patience with them as they learn and grow.
a. The Marriage Relationship (Ephesians 5:22-33)
i. Godly Wives Practice willing and loving Submission (Ephesians 5:22-24)
ii. Godly Husbands practice Sacrificial and Selfless Love (Ephesians 5:25-32)
b. The Relationships (Ephesians 6:1-4)
Ministering to the heart: (Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 12:34; Proverbs 4:23)
i. Godly CHILDREN Practice and OBEDIENCE (Ephesians 6:1-3)
Psalm 127:3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is His reward.
a) The of Obedience (Ephesians 6:1)
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord: …” (Ephesians 6:1) – To “obey” carries the action of listening with the attitude of submission.
Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well-pleasing unto the Lord.
Proverbs 4:1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
b) The of Respect (2a)
“Honor thy father and mother;…” (Ephesians 6:2) – To “honor” is to set a value upon something.
1. Determine to Obey
2. Determine to Obey
3. Determine to Obey
c) The of Blessing (2b-3)
ii. Godly FATHERS practice AUTHORITY (4)
Duty = “I to!” vs. Devotion = “I to!”
a) The of Love Commanded (4a)
This Greek word translated, “provoke to wrath,” carries the idea anger, irritation, and frustration leading to resentment.
Colossians 3:21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.
b) The of Love Determined (4b)
To “bring them up” speaks of rearing up to . The goal is redemptive as we seek to help them come to know Jesus and then help them to grow to be like Jesus.
In Deuteronomy 6, we see God’s command to parents which has not changed.
1. Teach them God is (Deuteronomy 6:4)
2. Teach them to God (Deuteronomy 6:5)
3. Teach them to God (Deuteronomy 6:6)
4. Show them how to God (Deuteronomy 6:7)
POINT OF ACTION: Our worthy walk is explained by walking in harmony in the way of Christ. Godly children practice intentional loving obedience, with attitudes of surrender, love, worship, and submission. They determine to obey their parents quickly, sweetly, and completely. Godly parents practice intentional loving authority. They determine to love their children by teaching through their own example and love for God.
What Is My Next Step?
Hearing — Giving attention to God’s Word with the intent to obey it – James 1:21-25
Doing — Making application of God’s Word to be more like Christ – Ephesians 4:22-24
- What did God show me that I must confess and forsake because it does not reflect Christ and hurts my relationship with Him and others? (Put OFF SIN)
- What did God show me about Himself in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What is He like?
- What does He like?
- What does He dislike?
- What does God say to me in this text? (Renew your mind)
- What command to obey?
- What promise to claim?
- What principle to apply (If I do ____, then God will do ___)?
- What example to follow?
- What verse(s) should I memorize and meditate upon through-out this week to help make my change lasting? (Renew your mind)
- In light of what I have heard from God, … (Put ON CHRIST)
- What character quality of Jesus must I demonstrate with God’s help this week?
- In what situations will I most likely be tempted not to respond in a Christ-like way?
- How can I get ready for those situations? (If I don’t have a plan for change, it probably won’t happen.)
OUR MISSION: Supremely love GOD, Sacrificially love others—ALL to the GLORY of GOD!