Asking For A Friend | Life’s Worst MomentsOctober 31, 2021
Fall Small Groups
Sept 12 – Dec 11
- There are all types of groups…
- Start by using our online directory www.olc.church/groups to find a location, time, and type of group for you.
- For more information about small groups please visit: www.olc.church/groups
ASKING FOR A FRIEND | “Overcoming Life’s Worst Moments”
P. Rhett Barden
It’s always something.2 Corinthians 1:8-11 (NIV) We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.
WHAT WE EXPERIENCE
1. and disbelief.Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NIV) Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.Genesis 2:18 (NIV) The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone.1 Peter 5:8 (TPT) Be well balanced and always alert, because your enemy, the devil, roams around incessantly, like a roaring lion looking for its prey to devour.“In life’s worst moments, I will surround myself with .”
2. and grief. Luke 6:21 (NLT) God blesses you who weep now, for in due time you will laugh.John 11:33–35 (TPT) When Jesus looked at Mary and saw her weeping at his feet, and all her friends who were with her grieving, he shuddered with emotion and was deeply moved with tenderness and compassion. He said to them, “Where did you bury him?” “Lord, come with us and we’ll show you,” they replied. Then tears streamed down Jesus’ face.
John 11:35 (NIV) “Jesus wept.”Isaiah 53:3 (NLT) He was despised and rejected— a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief.Hebrews 4:15–16 (NLT) This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin. So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.“In life’s worst moments, I will while I weep.”Psalm 61:1-2 NKJV) Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You. When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3. with “Why?”.
Jeremiah 20:18 (TEV) “Why was I born? Was it only to have trouble and sorrow, to end my life in disgrace?”Hebrews 11:35-40 (NIV) There were others who were tortured… persecuted and mistreated—the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground. These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.“In life’s worst moments I will keep my eyes on .”
WHAT WE SHOULD DO
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. “In life’s worst moments I will in God.”
1 Peter 1:9 (NLT) The reward for trusting him will be the salvation of your souls.
From the beginning, One Life Church has focused on one thing: reaching and influencing people with the love and life-giving message of Jesus Christ. Our mission is to help you Know God, Find Freedom, Discover Purpose, and Make a Difference and our Discover Event is a great way to kick-start that journey. Discover is simply designed to help you explore One Life Church, discover what it means to become a member, discover your purpose, and join the team.
STEP ONE: VISION
At this event, you will hear the story and vision of One Life Church and discover what it means to become a member
“VISION” takes place the first and third Sunday of every month at 11am at the Nampa Civic Center
STEP TWO: PURPOSE
This event is designed to help you discover your unique personality, your spiritual gifts, and how you can use those to make a difference by joining the Dream Team.
“PURPOSE” takes place the second and fourth Sunday of every month at 11am at the Nampa Civic Center