The Seven Deadly Sins – Lust
August 8, 2021
God has good intentions for my life.
Lust is wanting something we are not supposed to have.
Danish philosopher and theologian Soren Kieregaurd said,
“When you define your life by how you feel every moment, that is the ultimate slavery.”
“You have heard the commandment that says, you must not commit adultery. But I say, anyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”
- Why do we struggle with this sin so much?
The Bible says we were created in the image of God, the imago dei. This means we are capable of good things. However our sin nature gravitates toward sin.
God is pro-sex. He invented it. He thinks it’s a great idea. Because God wanted us to enjoy this gift he put parameters on it for maximum pleasure. God said it was to be experienced and enjoyed in a covenant relationship. It’s called marriage.
“Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
Who has condemned you? No one, Lord. Jesus said, neither do I condemn you: go, and leave your life of sin.”
“For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.”
2 Timothy 2:22
“Run from anything that stimulates your lust. Instead, here is the beautiful alternative: pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace.”
1 Corinthians 6:18
“Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.”
1 Thessalonians 4:3-5
“God’s will is for you to be holy, so stay away from all sexual sin. Then each of you will control his own body and live in holiness and honor, not in lustful passion like the pagans who do not know God and his ways.”
“And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.”
- How do we fight against LUST?
- Be ruthless with it.
- John Owens said, “be killing sin or sin or it will be killing you.”
- Accountability is particularly important if you struggle with lust, married or unmarried.
- C.S. Said, “Friendship is born at the moment’ when someone says, What? You too? I thought I was the only one.”
- The only way to find your way out of lust is to love something more than all that lust is about. To have a greater affection for God than a life full of lust.
- Lean into a relationship with Jesus and in time you will love God more than lust.
“But I say, walk by the spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the spirit, and the desires of the spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. But if you are led by the spirit, you are not under the law.”