Sermons Available Online at www.fbcrussell.org
Navigating the CurrentsFebruary 28, 2021 / First Baptist Russell
The “Ten Words” – Why?
While all of the words on the stones deal with our responsibilities toward , 1 – 4 are particularly and 5 – 10 are .
A Life Of Responsibility: (20:1-17)
- one true God (vs. 1-3)
- only the Lord (vs. 4-6)
- God’s name (v. 7)
- the Sabbath (vs. 8-11)
- one’s parents (v. 12)
- human life (v. 13)
- marriage (v. 14)
- personal property (v. 15)
- the truth (v. 16)
- desires (v. 17)
Notice: The and commandments deal with what’s in the , while the other focus on outward actions that begin in the .
Covetous people will all of God’s in order to satisfy their desires, because at the of sin is the sin in the .
For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, acts of adultery, other immoral sexual acts,
thefts, false testimonies, and slanderous statements. Matthew 15:19
“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ Upon these two commandments hang the whole Law and the Prophets.”
Principles We Can Stand On:
- God’s standards are much higher than the average person .
- These “Ten Words” demonstrate human and our to follow God completely.
- The “Ten Words” are primarily “”.
- 1-4 with God
- 5-10 with people
- Our God is a God who wants our loyalty and allegiance.
How Can This Be Personally Applied?
- Do not trust to make yourself acceptable to God.
- Ponder what God has done to provide your and take in His love for you.
- Believe the “Ten Words” were given for your .
- Remember – Jesus these righteous “Words” on the cross, so we need not .
- Never let a day without your Lord for His love, sacrifice, and forgiveness for you.