July 5, 2020
1 Kings 12:1-19
A Historical Context Is Important
The scene was .
The demands recorded in v. 4 were not all that .
They already had another in place – Jeroboam.
Notice: Not a word about their in
God – they complained exclusively about the and
They were more concerned about the than the .
was sought from directions. (vs. 6-8)
Interesting things to know:
Notice the word change in verse 6 and 9. “”
A Things We Can Take Away!
- We all have to admit eludes us.
“Woe to the rebellious children,” declares the Lord, “Who execute a plan, but not Mine, And make an alliance, but not of My Spirit, In order to add sin to sin; Isaiah 30:1 NASB
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5 NASB
- We are to remember – others will come us.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. And who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. This too is meaningless. Eccl. 2:18-19 NIV
- Beware of the generation.
- God will allow .
- Listening to the wrong – leads the wrong .
- When people and personalities are at the – God is not.
- There is a desperate need for generational . (Titus 2:1-8; 1 Timothy 5:1-2)
- A country can be so divided it cannot be .
- Real leaders are in command to God.
- If we are in a place of we are to be of the people. (Phil. 2:1-13; John 13:1-17)
And there arose also a dispute among them as to which one of them was regarded to be greatest. And He said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them; and those who have authority over them are called ‘Benefactors.’ But it is not this way with you, but the one who is the greatest among you must become like the youngest, and the leader like the servant. For who is greater, the one who reclines at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at the table? But I am among you as the one who serves. Luke 22:24-27 NASB
- Watch how you .
A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger. Prov. 15:1 NASB
- When we lead by there is .
You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble. 1 Peter 5:5 NASB
- People cannot win the – only God can.
- Beware of adolescent mentality.
- Trying to yourself
- It’s me.
- Sometimes we our decisions, but our decisions can never us, because we what we .
Principle: When we make mistakes that lead to serious consequences, we are to remember that God is still sovereign and in . (v. 15)