Questioning Jesus – Week 3September 5, 2021 / Matthew 16:13-23
Questioning Jesus – Week 3
Who do you say that I am?
- Matthew 16:15
1. Many people have wrong ideas about who Jesus is.
- Matthew 16:13-14
C. S. Lewis – Mere Christianity
“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”
2. How we personally answer Jesus’ question, “Who do you say I am?” is of utmost importance.
- Matthew 16:15
- Matthew 16:16-18
- John 5:24
- John 12:48
3. Even when we know who Jesus is, it can be hard to not hinder His mission.
- Matthew 16:23
1. Answer the question.
2. Ask Jesus to point out any place you’re hindering His mission.
Family Discussion Points:
*Open by reading Matthew 16:13-23
- What kind of wrong ideas have you had about who Jesus is? Explain.
- Why are we so prone to wrong thoughts about Jesus?
- In your own words, can you explain why views of Jesus that are inconsistent with the totality of Scripture fall short?
- Why is it important how you personally respond to Jesus’ question, “Who do you say I am?”?
- How have you personally responded? Please share with the group.
- After his amazing confession of Christs’ identity, Peter misunderstood Jesus’ mission and Jesus said he was a hindrance. What are some ways we hinder the mission of Jesus?
* Close by asking God to continue to deepen your understanding of who Jesus is.