H.E.A.R. – Hearing From God. Sharing With Others. (Wk. 4)January 24, 2021
H.E.A.R. – Wk. 4
What is a [d]Group?
A [d]Group is a group of 3-5 people of the same gender that meet together once a week to discuss what God is teaching them through their daily Bible readings and how it applies to their lives.
For more information visit fbcelgin.org/dgroups
How long do groups last?
[d]Groups are a 2-semester commitment (10 months), with the goal that each member would start their own group when this time ends.
- I pledge myself fully to the Lord with the anticipation that I am entering a time of focused spiritual formation.
- I will meet with my [d]Group for at least 1 hour every week – unless providentially hindered.
- I will complete all readings and journals on a weekly basis before my meeting and contribute to discussion.
- I will contribute to an atmosphere of confidentiality, honesty, and transparency for the edification of others in the group as well as my own spiritual growth.
- I will pray every week for my group members.
- I will begin praying about replicating the discipleship process upon completion of this group.
What does a meeting look like?
- Welcome/prayer (5 minutes)
- Scripture memory (5 minutes)
- H.E.A.R. journals (30-45 minutes)
- Accountability (15-20 minutes)
- Prayer (5-15 minutes)
- Recite weekly verse(s) together.
- By reciting our memory verses together, we hold each other accountable to storing God’s truth in our minds.
- Each person shares one or more journals.
- Sharing our journals allows us to experience what we read from multiple people’s perspectives and witness how God is moving through His Word in the lives of others.
- Intentional conversations about struggles/growth.
- Some groups will want to answer every question (appendix 4 – Pg. 164) every week, others choose one or two to focus on. These questions are as important as sharing from your journals.
- What are you praying about? How can we join in prayer with you this week?
- How have you honored God and lived with a sense of mission – making disciples who make disciples – sharing the Gospel and its impact on you since we last met? Who are you teaching to obey all that God has commanded?
- What are you wanting, craving, lusting and wishing for to bring happiness in your life? (If only I had _________, then I would be happy.”) In other words, what are you over-desiring more than God?
- What are you fearing? What are you worrying about? (“If I lost or didn’t get ________ then I wouldn’t have peace.”) In other words, what are you trusting other than God?
- How are you stewarding the resources (ie. time, money, abilities, family, etc) God has given you?
- Are you desiring the approval or fearing the rejection of other people? (“If only _______ approved of me, then I would…”) If so, in what ways?
- Have you been tempted to tell half-truths or lies to put yourself in a positive light before us? Have you been dishonest about any of your answers today? If so, in what ways?
- Realize your need for community.
- Continue praying about who you might want to be in your D-Group and start reaching out to those people.
- Register your group at: fbcelgin.org/dgroups