NLI 2021 — Week 4February 22, 2021
Next Level Intensives Student Notes: Week 4
“Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other.” Romans 12:4-5 NLT
What are spiritual friendships?
Friendship is the of all the loves because it seems like the . – CS Lewis, The Four Loves
Characteristics of Spiritual Friendships:
- Spiritual Friendships Are .
“Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up…A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-12
- To need and to want deep friendships is not a sign of spiritual ; it’s not a sign of but a sign of .
- The ache for friendship is the one ache that is not a result of sin (Ex. Adam in the Garden). 1
- Spiritual friendships are . Our destiny is eternal friendship.
- Spiritual Friendships Are .
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” Proverbs 17:17
- Friendships take a tremendous amount of .
- Relationships aren’t just coincidentally formed or maintained.
- Spiritual Friendships .
“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17
- We are called to and grow closer to Jesus together. 2
- Spiritual friends , , and each other.
- Spiritual Friendships . 3
“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” John 15:12-13
- Living a life of service to others
- Living a life of generosity
- Share (vulnerability)
- Share (hospitality)
- Share (accountability)
- Share (because there is no biological [romantic] or sociological [familial] necessity, friendship will take a lot of time.)
- Jesus’s love for us is our model.
The Ministry of 4
God calls us to be reconciled to Him, but also to one another.
When one part of the body suffers, we all suffer.
- We are called to .
- Race, Gender, Refugee
There is a difference between having ethnically diverse attendance and participation versus being ethnically-blended in our leadership and sense of belonging.
- The Kingdom of God is diverse, but it is also a
- We are not just welcoming and invitational, but we also give others a once they are in the doors.
We should be a community where people , before they , before they , before they .
Community Is Messy
“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8
We are humans with sin natures, and there is inevitable messiness that comes with doing life with one another.
We are called to , , walk in , and with one another above all else. 5
- When we love one another deeply, it’s easier to give grace freely.
What not to do: Friendationships
What are friendationships?
Friendationships don’t have appropriate .
– Boundaries by Henry Cloud
This is a reason why we have .
These relationships don’t become okay if you know you’d never date or have feelings for one another, or if one or both are dating someone else.
- “I just get along better with the opposite sex” isn’t a valid excuse.
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:34-35
Why does this matter?
What does this mean for my life / time at AU/GU?