Why I Stayed Home
July 11, 2021
Why I Stayed Home
Because The God Of The Bible Wasn’t Intimidated Nor Was He Offended By My Legitimate DOUBTS and QUESTIONS.
Isaiah 1:18 – “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD…”
“You do not have to check your brain at the door to be a Christian.”
1 Peter 3:15 – “…but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense [“apologia”] to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, but with gentleness and respect;…”
Mark 9:24 – Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”
Hebrews 11:1 – Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Because The Biblical Worldview Has The Best Grasp On What TRUTH Is.
Romans 1:18 – But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth…
- Emotive – “It’s true because I feel it’s true.”
- Relative – “It’s true because I think it’s true.”
Judges 17:6 – Back in those days, Israel didn’t yet have a king, so each person did whatever seemed right in his own opinion.
“Truth is objective and is to be discovered, not subjectively invented.”
- Empirical – “It’s true only if can be verified scientifically.”
- Pragmatic – “It’s true because it works.”
- Cohesive – “It’s true because it sticks together.”
- Correspondence – “It’s true because it corresponds to reality.”
John 18:37-38 – (37) Jesus responded, “Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.” (38) “What is truth?” Pilate asked. Then he went out…
Because The Bible Is Uniquely Reliable and Unmistakably Clear in Who It Says Jesus Is. And History Agrees.
John 14:6 – Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me….”
There is more verifiable, historical proof of Jesus’ life, death, burial and resurrection than the Roman emperor (Tiberius) of Jesus time!
“Nero fastened the guilt … on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of … Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome…”
– Tacitus, 1st Century Roman Historian (Hated the Christians.)
“The Christians … worship a man to this day – the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account…. [It] was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws.”
– Lucian of Samosata, 2nd Century Greek Satirist (Hated the Christians.)
Without using the Bible and, in fact, using writings of those who were NOT Christian and even anti-Christian in their beliefs, we know that…
- Jesus lived during the time of Tiberius Caesar (in fact, there’s even more literal proof that Jesus was a historical figure than Tiberius, the emperor of Rome at the time!)
- Jesus lived a virtuous life.
- Jesus was a wonder worker.
- Jesus had a brother named James.
- Jesus was acclaimed to be the Messiah.
- Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate.
- Jesus was crucified on the eve of the Jewish Passover.
- Darkness and an earthquake occurred when he died.
- His disciples believed he rose from the dead.
- His disciples denied the Roman gods and worshipped Jesus as God.
- His disciples were willing to die for their beliefs.
- Christianity spread rapidly and as far as Rome.
Reliability of the New Testament reliability when compared to other Ancient documents.
The Bible has…
- A Time Gap between actual events and when they were written about versus when they happened of about 25-60 years max. This would have been during the lifetime of the eye witnesses.
- Compare that to the next closest, Homer’s “Iliad” that has 500 years in between the actual events and their writings.
- A total # of New Testament manuscript copies that is 9x the next closest amount from other ancient writings. (ensuring the ability to cross check for accuracy.)
- We can know with 99.97% accuracy that the NT we have is the NT they wrote.
There are over 300 Messianic Prophecies in the Old Testament that were fulfilled to the letter by Jesus to prove he was the Christ! Most of them He could have had no human control over.
Because Science Points To A Creator & Designer.
Romans 1:19-20 – (19) For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. (20) For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
The founders of modern science believed in a supernatural God that made Himself discoverable through this natural world. They believed the proverb to be true where it says…
Proverbs 25:2 – It is the glory of God to conceal a matter and the glory of kings to investigate a matter.