The Holy Spirit Pt. 1 “Who Is He?”
March 14, 2021
God among us, God with us, God in us, God through us.
John 14:16-17 NLT
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.”
Matthew 3:13 And 16-17 NLT
Then Jesus went from Galilee to the Jordan River to be baptized by John.
After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God HS descending like a dove and settling on him Jesus. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.””
Matthew 4:1 TPT
Afterward, the Holy Spirit led Jesus into the lonely wilderness in order to reveal his strength against the accuser by going through the ordeal of testing.
How we see the Holy Spirit will determine how we choose to interact with Him.
LIFE GROUP DISCUSSION
- Did you grow up thinking the Holy Spirit was weird? In what ways did this
message confirm or change some of your previous perspectives about the
- Sometimes people can misrepresent the Holy Spirit through their own weird
behavior. Have you ever been concerned that if you had a relationship with
the Holy Spirit you would have to act weird?
- Read John 16:7–8. Why do you think Jesus said it was to our advantage that
He leave this earth so He could send the Holy Spirit?
- Have you thought of the Holy Spirit as a person or as a force? How do we
relate differently to the Holy Spirit when we understand He is a person?
- Why do you think the Holy Spirit is referred to as a helper and a comforter?
Can you think of a time when He has personally helped you or comforted
- In what ways is the Holy Spirit our friend?
- What are some things we can do this week to cultivate our friendship with the
As we conclude, remember the following:
- The Holy Spirit is our Comforter.
- The Holy Spirit is our Friend (and He’s not weird).
- The Holy Spirit is God.