“Our Hope Is Just Around the Corner”November 7, 2021
“Our Hope Is Just Around the Corner”
Psalm 107:1-2; Psalm 34:17; Romans 8:16-17
For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. Romans 8:18
- In saying, “For I consider,” Paul was not expressing an opinion. This is considered a judgment, carrying the idea of certain knowledge … to count, compute, or calculate, a settling of accounts
- Paul was identifying a striking contrast between the present sufferings and the future glory.
- Paul states that the sufferings of the present age are not worthy to be compared with the glory to come.
The word for “worth” is interesting.
- Lit: “to weigh”
- Refers to the beam of a set of scales which is horizontal when the weights are equal on each side of the pivot.
- The weight of glory far the present sufferings and the beam of the scales cannot possibly be .
- 2 Corinthians 4:17
- The glory which is about to be revealed is not something God’s gonna throw together at the last minute…
- This glory is in the person of Christ.
- It’s there … awaiting its manifestation.
- This glory will be revealed and .
- The verb “shall be” has the literal connotation of “”
- Romans 8:13, Genesis 2:17
- Regarding this future glory that’s in question, and it shall be revealed .
- Romans 8:13
- The preposition “to” is critical here… “.”
- We aren’t gonna be just privileged onlookers, we will be in the revelation of the glory of the Jesus.
For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. Romans 8:19
6. The conjunction “For” continues the subject of Paul’s reasoning from the previous verse.
- Present suffering and future glory are now applied to .
- Paul knows that the ravages of sin well beyond mankind.
- The effect of Adam’s (the fall of Adam) had spread throughout creation
- now creation awaits it’s day of redemption
- word describing creation’s desire for deliverance: “eager ”
The waiting of creation is not .
- The word used to describe the waiting is
- Creation knows its only hope for and emancipation lay outside of
- Philippians 3:20 (ESV)
8. The day of redemption is coming.
- What Paul has in mind here is the manifestation of the of God.
- The unveiling of the glory the sons of God.
- Romans 8:14-15
- Every has a place as a son or daughter of God
- When Christ’s is shown once and for all…
- will be displayed with Him.
- God will declare that He has son’s and daughters, all of whom bear a to His own Son.
- The absolute certainty of this day when God’s glory is revealed in Christ… is further that the sufferings of this present age are not to be with the which is just around the corner.