JAMES – WEEK 1 – “Kiss the Wave”January 24, 2021
Speaker: Pastor Tim
Title: “Kiss the Wave” – James 1:1-18
“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings.” (James 1:1 NIV)
1. God wants to use to us. (James 1:2-4)
- Get God’s .
- Trust God’s . (James 1:2-4; Romans 5:3-4; 1 Peter 1:6-7)
2. We can use trials to to God.
- “God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.” CS Lewis
- “I have learned to kiss the wave that throws me against the Rock of Ages.” Charles Spurgeon
- Ask for His . (James 1:5)
- “Wisdom” is the spiritual capacity to see, evaluate life, and behave from God’s point of view.
- Stand firm in . (James 1:6-8; 1 Peter 1:7)
3. Satan wants to use temptation to us. (James 1:13)
- Understand the . (James 1:14-15)
- Deception – Desire – Disobedience – Death
“Sin will take you farther than you want to go, keep you longer than you want to stay, and cost you more than you want to pay.” Ravi Zacharias
Be real about our . (James 1:16; 1 Peter 5:8)
4. We can use temptation as a for !
- ! (James 1:17; 1 Corinthians 10:13)
A – the situation
C – ounter with the Word
D – healthy friendships
C – to prayer
Live in . (James 1:18)
Talk about it:
What does it look like to truly trust God in the middle of a trial? Share about a time in your life when God empowered you to persevere through something difficult.
In times of trial, do you tend to trust God or fight for control? In what ways do you need to fully surrender to God?
In which of the four “ACDC” steps do you need to grow the most? What is a practical way to strengthen that part of your life?
God is going to use trials to mature us. Ask God for His perspective, and trust His process.
Times of trial give us an opportunity to draw closer to God. Ask Him to guide you, and stand firm in faith.
Satan wants to use temptation to destroy us. Understand “the process of temptation” (deception, desire, disobedience, death), and be real about your weaknesses.
We can use temptation as a target of growth. Remember “ACDC”: Avoid the situation, Counter with the Word, Develop healthy friendships, Commit to prayer. When you are tempted, with God’s help, you can overcome and live in victory.
Pray About It:
Jesus, thank You for the opportunity to meet together and build healthy relationships, even in the midst of trials and temptation. As we walk through this time, help us see from Your perspective, trust Your process, and overcome temptation so we can live in Your victory.