Calvary Baptist Church Red Bank
The Interrogation of Faith
August 2, 2020
Main Scripture Reference(s)
The Interrogation of FaithAugust 2, 2020 / Galatians 3:1-5
As Paul continues to defend doctrine, he asks the Galatians six rapid-fire questions in 5 verses. They are boiled down to 5 questions for this sermon. The interrogation – the questions that Paul asks them here – comes after he offers his bold and harsh assessment of their condition. You can tell the intensity gets ramped up a bit.
I. Where did you get ? (1)
- Foolish means blind or .
- Bewitched means an and emotional and fascination.
- Every believer has a responsibility to maintain personal .
II. How were you ? (2)
- When you got saved, you got the Holy Spirit.
- John 7:39 “(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should : for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)”
- Paul lays out only 2 possibilities: either you got the Holy Spirit by of the law or you got it by .
III. How are you ? (3)
- Our rough edges of sin get knocked off by the , not by grit and .
- Legalism is not merely trying to attain salvation through rules; it is also trying to attain sanctification through .
- We don’t grow by the , we grow by .
IV. Why have you ? (4)
- If you turn back to the works of the law, all you have experienced in Jesus by faith will be in .
V. Have you seen the ? (5)
- had occurred in their lives.
- Furthermore, the apostles had performed miracles to their message.
- Miracles come by faith, not by .
It all goes back to the necessity of the cross in verse 1. When you look to the cross, all your feeble attempts to gain standing with God by works fall flat. Jesus bled and died for you, so simply accept it by faith. The answer to all these questions is .