The Works of the FleshNovember 8, 2020 / Galatians 5:19-21
Each of us has a war going on inside our heart. Inside every Christian are two different natures; two ways of thinking and acting. One is the old sinful nature and the other is the new spiritual nature. Like the two wolves or two dogs, we have two natures that are always fighting (v.17). One of these natures continually dominates your life as a believer. When the sinful nature is winning the fight, we do all the horrible stuff listed in verses 19-21.
I. The of the Works of the Flesh (19a)
- The very first thing we read is that the works of the flesh are .
- When the Bible speaks of the “flesh,” it is often referring to our natural sinful .
- Anything not done from faith or love for God – any deed not by the Holy Spirit – is a “work of the flesh.”
- The flesh is what shows up in your life when the Spirit isn’t in .
II. The of the Works of the Flesh (19b-21a)
- The Bible places a special on sensual sins and sins of fornication.
- This category of sexual sins listed here are some of the most , self-centered things you can seek after.
- If the church can’t take a stand for morality and and pure living, who is going to do it?
- We might also call these sins. The next category involves idolatry and witchcraft.
- Idolatry is simply putting things of God and people.
- Everyone worships something!
- What is left are about 11 works of the flesh associated with our . Paul groups them together as from the same source.
- They are sins that primarily express themselves in how we others.
III. The of the Works of the Flesh (21b)
- The warning isn’t that you will your salvation, but that you are living more like someone who doesn’t have salvation, so be .
- These are the things that characterize the world and should not be a part of a Spirit-filled follower of Jesus Christ.
- No matter who is elected president, don’t worry too much. Most of the problems in your life will still be fault.
- Victory is not self-manufactured, it is Spirit-developed.