Relationship Goals: Covenant-KeepingMarch 15, 2020
Some Pharisees came to him [Jesus] to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?” 4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Matthew 19:3-6 NIV
THREE APPROACHES TO MARRIAGE
- Casual approach—Marriage is just a piece of paper.
- Contractual approach—Marriage is a contract.
- Covenantal approach—Marriage is a holy covenant established by God.
- A contract is based on mutual distrust.
- A covenant is based on mutual commitment.
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure … Hebrews 13:4 NIV
If we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself. 2 Timothy 2:13 NIV