DO NOT LIEOctober 17, 2020
DO NOT LIE
OCTOBER 17/18, 2020
Exodus 20:16a (NIV)
“You shall not give false testimony…”
Proverbs 6:16-19 (NLT)
There are six things the LORD hates—no, seven things he detests: 17haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, 18a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, 19a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family.
John 8:44 (NIV)
“You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”
Why do people lie?
1. You lie because you want to be hurtful, cruel, or mean!
2. You lie because you want to keep out of trouble!
3. You lie because you want to impress someone!
4. You lie because you’re trying to manipulate someone!
5. You lie because it takes too much effort to tell the truth!
2 thoughts as it relates to telling the truth:
1. Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!
Proverbs 10:10 (GN)
Someone who holds back the truth causes trouble, but one who openly criticizes works for peace.
2. Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, lovingly!
Ephesians 4:15 (NRS)
But speaking the truth in love, we must grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ…
The goal of every follower of Jesus…
Psalm 19:14 (NIV)
May these words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.