SEEK ONE ANOTHERJanuary 24, 2021 / John 13:31-35
1. Jesus’ life is by His sacrificial death.
John 12:23-25; 15:12-13;
1 John 3:16
2. Followers of Jesus are by their sacrificial love for one another.
Romans 5:5-8; 8:38-39;
1 John 4:7-8
3. Followers of Jesus are by their sacrificial love for one another.
1 John 4:12
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS:
- Describe your experience so far in Bethel’s 21 days of prayer and fasting.
- Review this week’s sermon text, John 13:31-35. What especially catches your attention in this passage or in the sermon?
- Read verses 31-32.
A. How did Christ’s arrest, trial, crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension glorify the Father?
B. How did the Father glorify Jesus through these events?
C. Like Jesus, we can glorify God. Discuss some thoughts on how we could do this.
- In verse 33, Jesus tells His disciples they will be left behind, for now.
A. How do you suppose they felt?
B. Have you ever been in a position where you were left behind? What fears, concerns, or disappointment went through your mind?
- Take a look at verses 34-35.
A. In v. 34, Jesus introduces a new characteristic of love. What is it, and what does it mean? How can you apply that to loving others?
B. Who is this love directed toward? Why?
- Jesus spent His earthly life setting the needs of others above his own.
A. What motivated Him?
B. You, too, have an earthly ministry. What are some ways that we can love the Church and the world as an outgrowth of our love for the Lord?
- A. Describe an example—that you have observed—of someone loving another Christian as Christ loves. What reaction did people have?
B. This week, who could you more intentionally show love to by serving them?
- Sometimes when we’re called, it feels like we’re stepping out alone. What is your experience when you’ve stepped out in obedience? How have you found that God meets you there?
- How does connecting to God affect how we’re connected to and loving one another? Conversely, how does serving one another draw us closer to the Lord?
PRAYER & APPLICATION
Refer to 7B. As the group prays, each person should seek the Lord’s direction on how they should specifically serve the person they identified. Then plan how and when to carry out that service.