GOD’S ULTIMATE PURPOSEFebruary 14, 2021
1. God has a to bless.
2. The blessing of .
2 Thessalonians 2:13-14;
3. The blessing of .
1 Peter 1:18-19;
1 John 1:7;
4. The blessing of .
5. God’s plan will be .
SMALL GROUP QUESTIONS:
- Read Ephesians 1:3-14 together as a group. Was there anything specific that caught your attention in this passage or in the sermon?
- You may have noticed that this passage contains several extremely positive terms and ideas, providing a window into the Lord’s extreme love; verse 8 has a word that expresses the extent of these terms and ideas. What is it?
A. Based on life experience, what mental picture comes to mind when you hear that extreme word?
B. Referring back to verse 7, why was this word used? What were we given?
- Review Ephesians 1:3-6.
A. What does it mean when Paul says, “God…blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places”?
B. How has the Lord blessed you spiritually?
- A. In verse 4, what does it mean to me that I was chosen by my creator?
B. What is unique about being adopted as God’s sons and daughters (v. 5), as opposed to merely being under his kingship?
- What was the purpose of our adoption? How can we live in accordance with the Lord’s purpose?
- Take a look at Ephesians 1:7-8a and 2:1-3.
A. What would be the effect on our salvation if Jesus had lived and ascended without dying?
B. What key elements should be included in our explanation of the gospel?
- Verses 8b-10 refer to “the mystery of his will.” What is this?
- In v. 11-12, Paul writes of “the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will.”
A. How does this impact your view of what happens in the world? In your life?
B. What is our part?
- Read verses 13-14. What does it mean that the Holy Spirit is our seal of salvation?
God has saved you with a pre-planned purpose. Assess your gifting this week, paying particular attention to spiritual gifts over natural abilities or training. What changes will you make in your life considering the lavish grace given to you by God in light of your eternal future?