The SowerAugust 23, 2020
In the Parable of the Sower, Jesus implores his audience and us to listen intently (V. 3 & 9) and understand the implications of it. He doesn’t want us to overlook the condition of our heart in receiving the Word of God.
Matthew 13:3-9; 18-23
Mark 4:1-9; 13-20
The seed (Word of God) fails to grow to the point of fruitfulness because of the condition of the soil (Heart).
What hearers have:
- The footpath soil hearers have hearts.
- The shallow rocky soil hearers have hearts.
- The thorny soil hearers have hearts.
What hearers need:
- The need of footpath hearers is a heart.
- The need of shallow rocky soil hearers is .
- The need of thorny soil hearers is .
The thorny soil never grows to maturity, no fruit is produced.
The problem with thorny soil isn’t roots, desire, or determination. It’s .
Three Thorns that compete with and choke the Word of God from growing in people’s lives:
- Thorn 1:
- Thorn 2:
- Thorn 3: (pleasures of life)
- Are you choking spiritually?
- Are you in need of a spiritual Heimlich maneuver?
Heimlich Maneuver Verse John 15:5-6
5 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.