Life Groups Study – Week of 11/15
November 15, 2020
On Sunday, Pastor Jim spoke from John 13:35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
Our Life group sessions have allowed us the opportunity to grow deeper in relationships in our church family. What is an area of discipleship growth you see happening in your heart?
This Is God’s Word
Matthew 5:43–48 (CSB)
LOVE YOUR ENEMIES
43 “You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor and hate your enemy. 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in heaven. For he causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what are you doing out of the ordinary? Don’t even the Gentiles do the same? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Let’s Go Deeper
- What words most stand out to you in the above passage? What do these words challenge you to change about your actions, or to ask God to change in your heart?
- Pastor Jim emphasized the HARVEST in his message. How do you believe this passage calls you to reach out to others?
- It is not enough that we know Jesus. We must have a heart to reach others. What role do you think Life Groups like ours can play in introducing those who don’t yet follow Jesus?
- When Jesus said, “…if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what are you doing out of the ordinary? Don’t even the Gentiles do the same?”, he was telling us that as Christians we SHOULD in fact be living and relating to the people around us in non-ordinary ways. Have you ever seen Christian love shown by someone that was truly extraordinary? What was it?
- What are some ways during this holiday season that God could use you to share his love and compassion with those you’ll be around? Be specific.
Would you pray a blessing over members in our group? A scripture passage or a word of encouragement to others here tonight?