Isn’t the Church Just Full of Hypocrites?
May 22, 2022
Isn’t the Church Just Full of Hypocrites? |
Apologetics: Answering the Big Questions, Matthew 23:13-33
In other words . . .
– If Christianity is true, why are there as many hypocrites in it as in any other religion?
– “I know a man who is a leader in the church and yet, I know he cheats people in business. If that is what a Christian is, I don’t want to become one.”
The word hypocrite comes from the same Greek word and means
The word hypocrite is used 17 times in the New Testament and every time it’s used, it’s used by Jesus.
Matthew 23 is Jesus’ analysis of hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy is knowing the right thing to do and .
Some points to consider in answering this question include:
- We must be sure we are talking .
Just because people don’t live up to a message does not mean the message itself.
- The Bible does not claim that it makes even true believers in Jesus Christ perfect in this life. Its claim is that those who receive Jesus Christ
1 John 1:8-10
“Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners – of whom I am the worst.” 1 Timothy 1:15
- If someone claims to have received Jesus Christ, it is only fair to compare their actions with , not with what they would be if they were perfect instantly.
The inconsistencies in the life of a true believer should be .
- The true Christian who lives a hypocritical life will be by his loving Heavenly Father.
The proof of sonship is not obedience.
- If you are against hypocrisy, with Jesus Christ and the Bible.
The Bible consistently condemned hypocrisy in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. See Psalm 20:3; Proverbs 15:8; Isaiah 29:13; Jeremiah 12:2-3; Hosea 6:6; Amos 5:21-24; Matthew 15:7-9; 1 Timothy 4:1-3; Revelation 3:15-16.
If hypocrisy has kept you from coming to Jesus, just know that He hates it
Memory verse: “Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners – of whom I am the worst.” 1 Timothy 1:15
Read Matthew 23:13-33. What is the worst name or label that someone could pin on you?
Why do some people object to “organized religion”?
Read Matthew 23:13-33. To whom and about whom was Jesus speaking in Matthew 23:1, 2?
According to Matthew 23:3 of what did Jesus accuse the religious leaders?
Read Matthew 23:13-33. What eternal destiny did Jesus pronounce on religious hypocrites? Read Matthew 23:13.
Re-read Matthew 23:23-26. What evidence of twisted priorities among the religious elite did Jesus give?
Read Matthew 23:13-33. How can a spiritual leader affect his or her followers?
In what ways do people sometimes fake the Christian life?
Read Matthew 23:13-33. What are some of the dangers of having a “checklist” of dos and don’ts that go beyond God’s written Word?
What temptations are faced by those in positions of spiritual authority?
Read Matthew 23:13-33. What could you do to help a young Christian grow stronger this week?
What older, more mature Christian can you spend time with this week to seek advice and wisdom?