A Perfect Gift Pt.1 Our Mighty GodDecember 8, 2021 / Pastor Richard Donald / Isaiah 9:6
Our Mighty God
Today, we’re going to discover that He is our Mighty God.
Isaiah 9:6 (NASV)“For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.”
The prophecy of the coming Christ was given hundreds of years before his birth. This prophecy of this child’s birth tells us that this child would not be ordinary, but extraordinary. Of course the One that Isaiah is speaking of is Jesus. According to Isaiah He would be called:
Wonderful Counselor: He Understands our Struggle, He Cares For Us, He’s Commited to Us
Mighty God: The One Who is able to rescue
The Prince of Peace
Today we will look at Christ as our Mighty God. He is a Mighty God who is able to rescue you. He is a Mighty God who is able to save you. Look at what it says in
Luke 19:10 “The Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
Jesus is our Mighty God Because:
- He Knows Where You Are
- He knows what roads you have traveled. He knows what turns you have made. He knows what dead end streets you have been down. Jesus knows you better than you know yourself.
- John 4:17-19 (NKJV)
- Jesus knows her life. Jesus knows her heart. Her lifestyle is completely exposed to Him. He knows what she has done and with whom. Folks here is the scary part – He knows the same things about you and me.
- He knows what roads you have traveled. He knows what turns you have made. He knows what dead end streets you have been down and He still loves you.
- Jesus knows right where we are. He doesn’t need a search party. He doesn’t need a satellite. He knows the spiritual shape you are in – because He is a Mighty God.
- Let me ask you a question – do you know where you are?
- Genesis 3:8-9
- Deuteronomy 8:1-7 NKJV 1 “Every commandment which I command you today you must be careful to observe, that you may live and multiply, and go in and possess the land of which the LORD swore to your fathers. 2 And you shall remember that the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not. 3 So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD. 4 Your garments did not wear out on you, nor did your foot swell these forty years. 5 You should know in your heart that as a man chastens his son, so the LORD your God chastens you.
6 “Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him. 7 For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, that flow out of valleys and hills;
- THERE MUST BE A RELIANCE ON HIS ALL PRECEPTS
- Psalm 84:11 NKJV
11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
The LORD will give grace and glory;
No good thing will He withhold
From those who walk uprightly.
- Obey All His Commandments And Not Those That Are Convenient
- His Word Will Guide And Govern Your Life
- Psalm 84:11 NKJV
- He Knows What Shape You Are In
- Luke 15:22-24 (NKJV)The Bible tells us that while the son was a “long way off” the father saw him coming. He ran out to greet him. He grabbed him – hugged him – welcomed him back home. The son tried to apologize – but the father shouted out, “Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found
- Have you ever thought about the shape that the prodigal son was in when he returned home? I’m sure he was thinner. I sure he was dirtier. I’m sure he had a smell about him – yet the Father loved him just the same.
- What shape are you in? God knows. He not only knows where we have been but He knows what shape we are in. He knows that we are thinner, He knows that we are dirty and the smell of sin is still on us – for the Bible says,
- Romans 3:23 (NKJV) “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
- THERE WAS A REASON FOR THIS PATH
- The Wilderness Was Designed To Humble You
- You Experienced God Differently In The Wilderness Than On The Mountain
- When God Clears A Path In The Wilderness:
- You See Him As A Supplier
- You See Him As A Shelter
- You See Him As A Sustainer
- Each and every one of us is in bad shape. Jesus knows that – and He loves us just the same.
- Psalm 103:8-14 For the Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. He will not always chide, neither will he keep his anger for ever. He hath not dealt with us after our sins, nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Like as a father pitieth his children, so the Lord pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.
- Someone has said, “God loves us just as we are – but He loves us to much to leave us that way.”
- The will of God will never take you where the grace of God cannot keep you.
- God knows what shape we are in – and He is willing to bring us in and build us up. What a Mighty God we have!
- He Knows How Much Time You Have Left
- Psalm 103:15-17 15 As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more. But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children’s children;
- Here is a simple fact – I don’t know how much time you have left on this earth only God knows. I don’t know how much time I have left to live – only God knows.
- Heres what I do know, “It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment.” Hebrews 9:27 (NKJV)
- This verse from Hebrews does not talk about the number of days a person will live – but it does talk about what happens after we die – judgment. It seems to me that we should be more concerned about the judgment than we are about how long we live. God knows how long we will walk this earth – our concern needs to be about how well we will do on the final exam. That day will determine whether we will walk the streets of gold – that day will determine whether we will live forever. Our Mighty God knows how much time we have left – let us make the best use of it.
- Lets Make it Christmasie “Do you Hear What I hear”
- GOD IS ABOUT TO RELEASE YOU INTO HIS PROMISE
- God Will Always Make Good On What He Told You
- Your Struggle Is Coming To An End
- He Knows the Effort You Have Made to Save Yourself
- When it comes to being “saved” we are at the mercy of someone else. Look at what the Message Bible says about the idea that we can save ourselves:
- Ephesians 2:8-9 (MSG) “Saving is all His (God’s) idea, and all His work. All we do is trust Him enough to let Him do it. It’s God’s gift from start to finish! We don’t play the major role. If we did, we’d probably go around bragging that we’d done the whole thing!”
- God knows our efforts – He knows how hard we have tried. But only He can save. Only He can rescue us – it doesn’t matter how good you have been – you still need a Savior. He is our Mighty God who can save and:
- He Knows that You Need Him
- Acts 4:12 (HCSB) “There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to people by which we must be saved.”
- Here is the important part. Your rescuer will not come unless you call on Him
- Romans 10:13 (NKJV)For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- ALWAYS REMEMBER WHO MADE IT ALL POSSIBLE
- God Kept You When You Couldn’t Keep Yourself
- God Did It All
- Example To The Naysayers
- Edify The Nations
- Exalt His Name
- But here is the good part – For, “Everyone who calls, ’Help Me, God!’ gets help.”
- You see Jesus is our Mighty God – He has the power to seek and to save those who are lost. Where are you? Are you lost? Have you take a wrong turn? Call to Him and He WILL come and find you
- Shout Out Help Me Lord!